Monday, January 25, 2010

Computer Chaos

I never realized how dependent I was upon my computer until an unforeseen, untimely, turn of events occurred--my computer crashed and so did my world!

Not only do I not know what's wrong with it, but I can't even turn it on to find out what that may be. I call my ISP only to find out that my connection is fine and it's the computer itself. Oh, no! That's what I was afraid of. It would have been so much easier if it was an ISP issue.

Oh, great! Now I'm thinking what files have I lost and what files can I do without. I cringe as I realize my latest WIP is on there and not only am I unable to work on it, but I pray it's still there! No worries though, this smart cookie has it backed up on CD. I am not flushing a year's worth of hard work down the drain!

I am not technically inclined and have no idea what to do. Hey, I have a thought. I'll call Best Buy and talk to the Geek Squad! I think that is a really smart idea until Jr. tells me oh, so rudely, that I have to bring it in and it's going to cost me $69 just to run a diagnostic (which takes about a week). Oh, did he forget to mention they also have a three week backlog? Oh yes, please don't ask him any questions over the phone because he does not give any technical advice.

Crap, crap, crap! I cannot wait four weeks for my computer to return from the dead. What to do, what to do. Let me try the good 'ole fashioned phone book. Wow, there is actually a local computer repair shop listed. What have I got to lose? I can't believe my ears. "What? You will actually send someone to my house this Wednesday?" What service and what a nice, young man on the phone. "What? It sounds like a Power Source issue that can be replaced and the technician should be able to fix it on site?"

That is going to be well worth my money spent. I would rather give my hard earned money to the Mom and Pop shop rather than to Big Brother.

Big Brother does not always know best or have my best interest at heart. This writer needs to keep on writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment