Friday, October 15, 2010

'Tis the Season

No, I'm not speaking of Christmas... yet. I'm speaking of Halloween. Not only is it a time for ghosts, goblins, pumpkins and candy, but it's also my favorite time of year. My birthday. Yep. Who would've thought?

I often wondered why my mother could not have delivered me a day earlier or even a day later, but no, I was persistent even then. I was destined to be born on Halloween. It's such a magical time for children. Who wouldn't want to imagine being someone or something else for one day out of the year... a chance to escape and to dream?  

When I was younger, there were many advantages about being born on this day. For instance, my birthday parties were always in costume. My family never had to worry about having a 'theme' birthday celebration. Bring a costume and come as you are! Of course, there were always school parties and parades which made it such a treat for me since it was also my special day. No pun intended!

Although, I must admit that sometimes having a Halloween birthday was a nightmare. As I grew older and wiser, I realized this may not be the coolest day to have a birthday after all. I had to live with comments such as, "Oh, that explains why you're such a witch." I'm being polite. Use 'witch' interchangeably. I'm sure you can come up with some creative sayings on your own. I've heard it all.

I remember an elderly man calling in one day to the day job. He was 73 years old and I noticed his birthday was October 31st. When I brought to his attention that I also shared the same day of spendid bliss, I said, "Could I ask you a question?" Imagine my surprise when he answered me before I even asked the question. 

"No, it does not. I'm 73 years old and I've been called everything under the sun. Devil, warlock, ghoul... It does not get better."

So 'tis the season of celebration for select individuals that share this day. So to all of you... Happy Birthday, my dear friends. I understand. For those of you that dare call me something other than my given name, I just might have to cast a spell on you ;)

How fitting that my new m/s is titled: Bewitching a Highland Rogue.

Happy Halloween!

4 comments:

  1. I'm smiling as I read your post, picturing a little girl's bday on Halloween and thinking afterwards how silly some people can be over a day that is meant for fun. Maybe Halloween didn't start out as fun, but come on, in this day and age, it's a fun time for fantasy, dress up, indulging in goodies on a crisp autumn night. I don't believe evil is any stronger on that day as any given day of the year. I love the title of your new ms. And I feel lucky to know you, born on Hallow's Eve or not. Enjoy your day.
    Margie Porter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that title! Born on Samhain,eh? No wonder you're blessed with the "magic" of words. Happy birthday early, my friend. And keep me posted on that new M/S. With a title like that, I know it's going to be a MUST READ for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a distinctive birthday! Pay no attention to those namecallers. Enjoy your special season, and best of luck with that Highland Rogue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very lucky your birthday is on Halloween. I would love to have my birthday on that day! It would give me an excuse to dress up and trick or treat with the kids and of course get birthday gifts. Although, I don't need an excuse to dress up :)

    Another great post!

    ReplyDelete