Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Adventures of Writing

The first series of books I ever read and became shamefully addicted to was V.C. Andrews, Flowers in the Attic series. Wow! I could not put them down. For those of you that have read this series, you also understand how 'familiar' the relationship became between brother and sister. Yep, that pretty much stopped me in my tracks.

Since then, nothing really caught my or should I say kept my attention.

While in high school, I started writing a story about an older man in love with a younger high school girl. Of course it never went anywhere, but I spent months in my room typing, typing, typing on that old typewriter. I didn't even realize that was the start of a romance genre for me.

It wasn't until years later when a friend of mine twisted my arm to read historical romances set in Scotland. I fought her tooth and nail and compared it to watching a bad 'highlander movie'. Needless to say, she was very persistent. She gave me Hannah Howell, Lynn Kurland, Karen Marie Moning and I was hooked!

That friend of mine is now my critique partner, biggest fan and supporter. Everyone should have one!

I am currently writing a Scotland Historical Romance set in the 1600's. This will be the first in a series of three. This is opening a new chapter in my life and I can't wait to see how it ends.

Stay tuned...

1 comment: