Sunday, July 3, 2011

Canadian Escape

The clan and I recently traveled to Niagara Falls, Canada. What an amazing time! The temperatures were in the low 80's, low humidity and no rain. Who could ask for more? The sound of rushing water was so incredibly peaceful--all 600,000 gallons of water per second. I wished we could've bottled it up and brought it home with us. *chuckle* I could have sipped some on the way home when it took us three hours just to cross the border, but that's another story...
We hit the usual jaunts such as Journey Behind the Falls, Whirlpool Aero Car and Clifton Hill. This year we tried something different and actually hiked down to the bottom of the gorge. Twisting trails led us through breathtaking views of the Niagara River. When we reached the bottom, I found a huge rock and sat for a long time. Clean air, no cars, just the sounds of nature herself. *sigh* The picturesque views of the Niagara River were truly beautiful.


 
We journeyed north through the wine vineyards of Niagara-on-the-Lake. If you're ever in the area, the scenery alone is worth the trip. One does have to wonder what these residents do for a living. Passing two red Ferrari's and too many sports cars to name, it was definitely the Rodeo Drive of Canada. 
The charming little shops along Queen Street beckon any passerby. Of course, this Scottish historical author could not pass up her stop into The Scottish Loft. I believe some MacGregor and Campbell items may have fallen into my basket. The dh claims too many, but hey, it's research. Right? I also found a charming little shop called Irish Design and knew some of my writer friends would have loved it (Maeve and Pat!)
Have you been on an exciting trip lately? 

6 comments:

  1. Victoria, I love Niagara-on-the-Lake. I've done the falls with both hubby and kids, and it's a great experience. As for Queen street, it's so lovely, and Irish design is a must-see. I actually did a signing there a few years ago, with my first novel, "In Sunshine or in Shadow." Glad you had a good holiday. Next time, you should try Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We visited Niagara Falls twice, years ago and with two small children. I think it's time to go back! Would love to check out those Scottish and Irish stores. And a winery tour, for research of course, is always fun. Glad you had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *envious sigh* Your trip sounds lovely, my friend! I don't know which I'd enjoy more - the gorgeous scenery OR the shopping. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia, I did not want to leave Niagara-on-the-Lake. The owner for the Irish Design store was from Ireland. I found myself lingering around just to hear his beautiful accent. I would love to do a book signing at The Scottish Loft. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, we did have such a great time. You would have loved the stores! I thought of you and Maeve right away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maeve, the scenery and shopping were both worth it. Now back to reality. *unhappy sigh*

    ReplyDelete